02 September 2006

Whose Fault?



Dear Daniel and I sort of have these various "understandings" about certain household things; we do a lot for each other; we've each had to babysit the other when the other had had WAY too much to drink; he will buy tampons for me. However, I will not plunge a toilet someone else stopped up. That's just unfair and crosses a line with the whole domestic intimacy thing. We've never talked about it or spelled it out, but I think this is one of our understandings.

The other morning, the toilet was stopped up. Looking into it, I could see nothing; no paper, nothing gross.
Lo and behold, I could not find a plunger. We haven't lived in our apartment very long and apparently we have no plunger.
I have to be at work at 6:45am; he has to be at work at 8:30. He gallantly went off in search of an early-morning plunger purchase. I really didn't feel guilty because I believed with 100% certainty that I was not the person who had stopped up the toilet.

Ten minutes later he arrived home with this white thing - see above. What the Hell is it? Is it modern art? Nay, it is a newfangled toilet plunger.
"Are you serious?!" I asked.
"Well, it's the only one they had," he said. "It was eight dollars, too."

"Okay, move, I'll plunge it," I offered.
"Naw, just get ready for work - I'll do it," he replied, as well he should, since I was not the one who stopped up the toilet.

Turns out this plunger is the worst-designed tool ever invented; it won't form a seal, it sucks water into the chamber and doesn't create any air pressure whatsoever! Ten minutes later Dear Daniel was still at it.
"Lemme do it," I said, kind of wanting to try the new plunger. I got tired of that quickly. The plunger was half working and half NOT working.

Dear Daniel successfully unstuck the toilet. The pink-tinged water pointed to me as the culprit. Okay, so I threw a bloody tampon down the toilet! It was 100% organic cotton, and it said "flushable and biodegradable"! Who knew the plumbing was THAT delicate? Jeez.

We got rid of the fancy white plunger and bought a regular round rubber one with a stick handle.

No comments: