28 September 2006

Pink Spider Bites: A 'Zine




Other than blogging and shopping and spying on my neighbors (by the way, I have a new downstairs neighbor and I can't wait to take a photo of her. She looks exactly like the old downstairs neighbor; it's too weird) one of the things I do is write and design 'zines. I've been doing this for around five years and I've made about twenty different 'zines. I love being part of the 'zine culture; people who make 'zines often trade our work with each other or offer the 'zines on a sliding scale; almost every 'zine creator loses money or just breaks even on the production costs. We're engaging in a little bit of alternative commerce, where it's less about money changing hands, and more about the exchange of ideas. 'Zines are a labor of love, and through the trading of them, I get to connect with strangers of different cities and different lives in a way that can feel more tangible and personal than emailing, blogging, myspace-ing, or any of the other internet-cyberspacey types of communication I engage in. With 'zines, there's real paper involved, plus handwritten notes, dollar bills, and postage stamps!

I'm very lucky that I get to exhibit and sell my 'zine Cherry Blossom, Cherry Pie at the APAture 'Zine and Comix expo this upcoming Saturday!

Pink Spider Bites is my newest 'zine. The cover is a collage of artwork, stickers and fancy-ass French paper. The girl cutting her wrist is from Junko Mizuno's book Hellbabies. The inside front cover was done especially for Pink Spider Bites by my friend Dorian Katz, who is a wildly talented artist. The piece is called "The Pink Widow."

If you live in San Francisco, come by and say hi on Saturday. The event is free!

1 comment:

Heidi on Vashon said...

In the Seattle area is a man who lives a recluse-like life pen-named BabyNous Cult. He had his name legally changed to Chrstphre Campbell and he's an amazing talent doing mail art and mini-zines. He occasionally teaches stamping in Bremerton and is a math genius who once worked in the military as a Cryptologist.

Sorry, just had to share. His work is so amazing.