19 September 2006

Sweet and Macabre: Miss Van


Back to my regularly scheduled programming:

Miss Van is another French woman graffiti artist. There's something of the Fafi about Miss Van's artwork, or perhaps it's the other way around: something of the Miss Van in Fafi's artwork. I believe Miss Van preceded Fafi, but I am not certain.

Miss Van's work is decidedly darker than Fafi's. The faces are more pushed-in, bodies rounder, eyes and lips a little more freaky. Some of the characters Miss Van draws are bloody, and, uh, some have their hands down their panties. There is a surreal, dreamy quality to the images overall, but when you look more intently at them, they are also disturbing. I love the drawings for what I perceive to be their commentary on beauty and femininity.

See More by Miss Van...

Oh, more?! You sicko.

1 comment:

Samantic said...

Your blog is filled with so many cool things that I can't pick just one favorite to talk about!! I would be honored if you would link to me!