05 August 2006

Pocky Gone Wild




These are straw-like crackers dipped in either chocolate or some kind of strawberry-flavored white chocolate, like the stuff that coats yogurt raisins. At least they were when I was a child and they were one of my favorite treats.

We went to an Asian supermarket this morning and I was surprised to see the zillions of Pocky permutations. There's one called "Pocky Men's". I got one called "Pocky Chocolate Coconut" with little flakes of coconut all over it. This one is Pocky Chocolate Mousse, only the "chocolate mousse" is lavender colored. I don't know how I feel about that... it's a little scary... I can't think of any foods that are naturally lavender-colored, except maybe the inside of certain figs. Of course, no one pretends that Pocky is a natural food, but still - lavender food is weird!

The packaging of Pocky has certainly changed since I was a child. It used to be really plain. Pocky only came in strawberry or chocolate; and I can't remember the chocolate packaging, because I only ever chose strawberry, which was plain pink with the word "Pocky" on it. What's the world coming to? I guess I'm getting old. Soon I'll be like my grandparents, "When we were your age, Grandpa woould take me to dinner and dancing at the Claremont Hotel for five dollars! Five dollars!"

No comments: