16 August 2006

If My Apartment Were Burning...



What the heck is this?! you may be thinking.

Well, if my apartment were burning down and I could only carry one thing out, I think it would be this sculpture. (But it's so damned heavy I'd have to strap it to a rollerskate and roll it along.)

Once upon a time, it hung above my grandparents' fireplace in their ultra-mod house. Then it was wrapped in packing material and living in my mother's laundry room - for shame! She eventually decided she had no place to hang this modern monstrosity in her sort of traditional, sort of contemporary home and gave it to me. I seem to get all the rejected family art, which is just fine by me!

After much weighing, measuring, stud-finding, drilling, shrieking and screwing, my partner and I successfully hung the piece in our bedroom. I feel so fortunate to own this piece of art by sculptor Julie MacDonald.

2 comments:

Heidi on Vashon said...

It's quite lovely, really.

BionicBuddha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.