27 August 2006

The Extinction of my Eyeliner





As everyone who loves makeup knows: products come and products go. Your favorite color/formula/fragrance is likely to be discontinued at any given time, for no apparent reason. Surely it MUST be a bestseller, no?! If I love it, mustn't hundreds of thousands of others love it, too?! Usually I take the extinction with a grain of salt; I shrug it off and find a replacement.
(Not so my friend Emerald, who immediately stockpiled a case of her favorite color nailpolish when she found out that it was being discontinued. I once looked in her refrigerator, and where eggs should be, there were about thirty identical bottles of the purple stuff. "Those idiots," she sighed. "They're not making my color any more.")

Till now, the extinct cosmetic item I missed most was Prescriptives' Simply Moisture, a lightweight, easily-absorbed and mild-smelling mositurizer - one of their first, if not their very first item in their skincare line. It was perfect. Really, truly perfect! It came in an open-necked bottle and was liquid enough to pour out... I hate the gooey, messy pumps most lotions are delivered in today. SImply Moisture was simply friggin' awesome! I didn't even know it was being discontinued till it was gone. They replaced it with something called "All You Need." When I tried to express my distress to the Prescriptives counter person, she just looked bored and then pointed to "All You Need."
"This is All You Need," she said, expressionlessly. I almost cried.

Now the liquid eyeliner I love is gone. It's by Anna Sui, it's black, it never gets dried out, it's the perfect consistency and it COMES WITH THE PERFECT BRUSH, which is firm and kind of thick, which is unheard of in the realms of liquid eyeliner. Always, the brush that comes with all other liquid eyeliner is a cheap, flimsy piece of crap. And I despise the felt-tipped ones. Insane!!! Shall we just take a Sharpie to our eyelids?! Because that's what the felt-tipped eyeliners are like. The Anna Sui is not too wet, not too dry, really, really black, and very long-lasting. I've used this Anna Sui liquid eyeliner for years. I wear it pretty much every day... probably 358 days a year, minus two days a year for when I have the flu or something equally horrifying. At times I've ventured into other brands of liquid liner just for fun and have always found them inferior.

Anyhow, it's GONE GONE GONE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I read earlier on your blog that you don't like ebay. Perhaps you'll have to give it another try- someone will list it on there eventually. I've never tried this eyeliner before...now I'm intrigued.

Heidi on Vashon said...

I was a Prescriptives sales ho at Macy's Union Square in the early 90s, and I feel your pain! The skincare changed way too much. I loved Simply Moisture, too.