11 July 2006

Vera Bradley Hell













I bought a quilted brown flowered purse from a luggage shop in San Francisco. It was pretty inexpensive (a little more than LeSportsac. A lot less than, say - Coach) and it was a brand I'd never heard of before, but it looked well-made, and I thought it was old-fashioned in a calico, Little House on The Prairie sort of way, which I thought would be fun and ironic.
I like the teeny tiny flowers with other brown things I wear, like a brown plaid wool winter skirt I have, and even with jeans, brown suede platform shoes and a sweater. I like mixing things in small amounts, like flowers with leopard, faux-tortoiseshell with just about everything, etc.

After I bought the bag, I started investigating the brand out to see what, if any other cute things they had. Checking out the website, I realized the brand, Vera Bradley, is like some kind of less-cool Laura Ashley (is that even possible?) and that nobody but older white ladies of a certain frumpy aesthetic goes ANYWHERE NEAR these bags!!!

Proof - my photographs; see above. One lady in a wheelchair and the lady pushing her along, peering into the crowded and tacky window of a shop in which several Vera Bradley bags are displayed. Another is a lady I saw carrying a Vera Bradley purse on the street. And yours truly, posing with my own frumpy-dumpy accessory! I honestly think I'm the only woman in the entire world under age 55 and the ONE AND ONLY woman of color who has ever, ever rocked the Vera B. I'm a little scared of myself.

You know you want one.

2 comments:

Samantic said...

Actually- I rock the Vera Bradley all the time (and I'm only 25). It is haute couture in the south, which you may not like, but I have a brown and teal set, and a light blue set (luggage and purses).

pink fluff and stuff said...

That's nice.