18 July 2006

Shopping for Flowers Is Competitive. Who Knew?



Each week my partner and I go to the Farmers Market at the Ferry Plaza in San Francisco. People who go regularly know to go early; later it gets very crowded with tourists and the kinds of people who go once in a while, wander around looking lost, bump into others, and exclaim, "OH WOW! WHAT'S OVER THERE?! WHAT'S THIS?!" These people are also likely to ask really stupid questions of the vendors and farmers, such as, "Do you have any peaches?" (in the dead of winter), and "Do you have this nonfat, with Splenda?" to the French guy who makes organic whole milk yogurt with local honey from his family's recipe and sells it in little terracotta crocks.

Unfortunately, this week we went a little late, so I got elbowed and jostled and stepped-on by aggressive yuppies trying to get the VERY BEST BUNCH of flowers.
Yes, make sure you spend your four dollars WISELY. (And watch out for my ribs; I kind of like them the way they are - UNBRUISED. Jeez!)

It was so crowded that I was unable to see the label on the bucket; so I don't know what type of flowers these are. I like their sweet candy-colored blooms.

No comments: