21 July 2006

It's True - the 80's Are Back



I've been complaining to anyone who will listen that the 80's are back, I hate 80's fashion, boo hoo, what am I going to do, and so on.
I remember the pants I wore in middle school, and they were really tight Jordache or Guess jeans, with zippers at the ankles and sometimes little denim bows at the tops of the ankle zippers. I also wore pink Reebok high tops and I usually had on a pile of jelly bracelets and a thing called a "banana clip" in my hair; hair which I had laboriously crimped at 5:30am each school day with a super-hot crimping iron. My mascara, which I had to hide from my mom, was electric blue, and I had a pair of cheap pink high heels she didn't even know I owned, which I would change into at school, shoving my Reeboks into my locker.

All this makes me shudder; it was cute then; I was thirteen. It hardly mattered if my jeans were tight - I was a child - I had no curves. The thought of SQUEEZING myself into pants like that NOW makes me really scared.

Still, there are some fashions from the 80's that make me smile to see again, like dolman sleeves, boatnecks, sexy open-backed tops, wide diagonal and chevron stripes, polka-dots, pink-and-gray, navy-and-kelly green, and those freakin' little candy-colored hearts and stars that seemed to cover EVERYTHING in 1988. And another thing I didn't get my fill of in 7th grade - candy-colored plastic beads.

This week I've purchased two rather 80's-style tops; one navy blue with kelly green dots and a criss-cross of fabric in back, and this one; a cream tunic with blue diagonal stripes, and three giant-bead plastic necklaces - one red, one pink, and this aqua one, above. All right. so I've given in to the 80's comeback! I can't exactly run around naked and unaccessorized, can I? So that's my excuse. Hey, a girl can change her mind.

1 comment:

Heidi on Vashon said...

Yes yes yes! The 80s are, like, so TOTALLY back. Seattle's running REWIND 1987 at a club, a living homecoming dance and they are dressed like YOU here. Work it!

(XO, your reader, Heidi, class of 1987).