18 June 2006

Tokyo Dollgirls - Tarina Tarantino






Browsing Tarina Tarantino's website on Friday, I found this photo from her recent visit to Japan. The models were painted and dressed to look like dolls, with bright pink blush, plastic-like shiny lips, and eyelashes drawn on with liner. Also on Friday, a pal sent me some poems she had written and one of them is an ode to Henrik Ibsen and is about a little girl who falls into her dollhouse while looking at it; she becomes one of the dolls and sits there looking at a little doll-table laden with miniaturized porcelain food. The poem, and the fashion, blew my friggin' mind! Since I had an art show reception to attend the next day, I decided to try doing similar makeup. I practiced on Friday night and decided it looked really good, except the eyelashes, which I managed to improve on Saturday, by making them sort of balled at the end rather than spiky.

My outfit included a black silk Betsey Johnson skirt, which is crumpled and ruched, a black beaded camisole under a black lace top with ruffles down the front. I carried my old Gwen Stefani L.A.M.B. baby barrel bag, and wore Donna Karan "Spring Lace" tights. My shoes are really cool but they didn't make it into the photo. The parasol I got at a wedding supply warehouse. Hmm and I had awesome aqua blue nailpolish from Sephora; it's inexpensive, so I was amazed at how smoothly it applied, and how shiny and candy-like it looked when dry. (I think it's funny how I appear to be displaying my manicure on my friend Esther's upper arm like I'm Barbra Streisand in The Prince of Tides.) I wore a faux-ivory cuff bracelet, which I got at a wonderful antique store, though it's not an antique.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Awesome makeup! In that first picture, the model on the left is wearing Tarina's lucite bracelets. Ever since I saw that picture I've been wanting those bracelets.