23 June 2006

The Right Kind of Tight

I was buying a gift for a friend yesterday; a fitted Paul Frank tee shirt, really cute, with Julius as a skull and crossbones.

Now this gal recently had a breast reduction and informed me that her bra size is now 34 C or 36C. At the shop, I was deciding between size Medium and size Large, really waffling, really agonizing. I even unfolded the Large (I'm not one of those annoying customers who unfolds everything and just throws all the merchandise around on the tables - No! I re-fold, and I do a damned good job. This is because I once sold towels at a Macy's for two hellish months when I was in college. WHY do people need to UNFOLD TOWELS, I ask you? What surprises do they think they're gonna find in a neatly folded TOWEL? But I digress.) I laid the Large down and placed the Medium on top to see how much bigger the Large was. It seemed to be just about 1/2 inch bigger all around, except it was about two inches longer at the bottom hem. Weird.

I thought I should get a Large. Then I started second-guessing myself. What if she gets insulted because I got her a Large and she really wanted a Medium? Would a Medium be tight? Too tight or the right kind of tight? What if she gets mad? Will she think that I think that her breast reduction was unsuccessful? (Which I don't - I think she looks great!) Or that she is fat?

I suddenly remembered the time a boyfriend bought me an outfit from Express. Now that was sweet - we were something like twenty years old; he didn't know any better.
Express - yuck. Periwinkle blue frumpy schoolmarm skirt and sweater - DOUBLE YUCK. Size 9 when at the time I wore a 5 - HATE HIM!!! Horrible, horrible boy!

Is buying clothing for women always THIS DIFFICULT?! And if so, thank God I have a skinny-ass boyfriend, and he's easy to dress. Just dress him up like a little dolly.
He likes everything I buy him. But then, I know his style and I know all his sizes, except his glove size.

Back to the dilemma at hand - I ended up getting the Medium shirt, and a receipt, and a promise from the guy who worked there that I could EASILY exchange the shirt if need be. Also, I hid the Large just to be sure it'll still be there if I need it.

Check back later. The pal is having a birthday party tonight and maybe, just maybe she will get so drunk that she will pose for a photo in nothing but the new tee shirt and her panties!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, so the large is a hit. And FYI I was already down to my bra at the party anyways....