02 January 2007

Seven Greyhounds



I just got back from my mother’s house. She lives in rural Southern California. The town is so rural in fact that tumbleweeds roll across the roads, and people can have horses, llamas, goats, broken-down cars, and weird makeshift sheds on their properties, not to mention countless dogs. Next door to my mom’s property live some people who apparently have seven greyhounds (there may only be six in the photo). I’ve never noticed the greyhounds before, because I would always park on the old driveway, which is on the other side of the house. My mom added a new driveway on the greyhound side of the house, and I was startled to see all these greyhounds come to the fence whenever I got into and out of my car. Greyhounds are really skinny, with big, intelligent-looking eyes. I don’t dislike them, but it really freaks me out that these people have seven of them. Who needs that many dogs? And why?
I like the country and the mountains, and there are certain things I love and miss about the desert, but overall it's just a depressing and weird place to live. My mom's house and property are immaculate, landscaped, and every plant, tree and blade of grass is manicured. It's almost like some kind of optical illusion between the two neighboring properties. Weird.

3 comments:

Mx said...

wait a minute... I left a charming and witty comment about those dogs last night.... 1/2/06

alas! tis bumping about cyber heaven... oh well, I'll have more wine tonight and try again

pink fluff and stuff said...

Wine is always good. Madame X, don't you think seven dogs is six or five too many?

Mx said...

maybe even seven too many

perhaps they are rescue dogs...?

perhaps they are racing dogs...?

perhaps they are mutant aliens from area 51 waiting to be beamed up...?

perhaps captain corky knows...perhaps not.

wine alway nudges along the stream of consciousness