18 January 2007

Candy Floss Pink Flats



Marc is our caterer at work; he's from England, and it's funny when he does an "American" accent. He usually does this when he makes something sort of traditionally American. Then he'll tell me what it is in his mocking American accent, which sounds like a cross between Clint Eastwood and James Bond with a touch of Beavis and Butthead. Wrap your mind around that.

One of my favorite Marc activities is making him tell me what the English words are for things we say differently in the United States. I know this is truly obnoxious and so typically American of me. Does the fact that I'm Asian American give me some leeway? I bank on that.

Everyone knows that "cookies" are really "biscuits" and "french fries" are really "chips," but does everyone know that "cotton candy" is really "candy floss"? Marc told me so.

When I was in sixth grade, attending public school for the first time, and just starting to think about fashion, I desperately wanted a pair of pointed flats like teenagers wore. (Please, my mother still had me in white tights with black patent leather Mary Janes. Till sixth grade, I was small, nerdy, and went to Catholic school where we wore uniforms.) I wanted silver ones, like this very cool 8th grade girl I admired who wore all black and carried a huge silver hobo bag and wore her silver pointed flats and giant silver hoop earrings.

My mom compromised and bought me a pair of candy floss pink round-toed flats. I remember they were Calvin Klein and at something like fifty dollars they were wildly extravagant; we were really struggling financially then. I didn't ask for the shoes - I rarely asked for things because I knew my mom was stressed about money. But I admired them, probably drooled. Not only were they wonderful grown-up, pretty shoes - they meant a great deal to me because my mom gave them to me.
Ever since then I've rarely been without a pair of similar shoes. I'm sure a therapist would know what it all means.
I got these cute, soft comfy ones in Los Angeles, along with a second pair in black. They're from BC Footwear in the Beverly Center, and were delighfully inexpensive!

BC Footwear online...

No comments: