27 January 2007

Eeew. Gross.



Dov Charney, creator and CEO of American Apparel appears in their ads in nothing but a pair of pink American Apparel briefs, wth suggestive text, blah blah blah, old news, right? He makes inexpensive basic clothing right here in the United States, paying factory employees higher than minimum wage. He has comical facial hair and a laughably wimpy physique, making him appear harmless. But he's has several sexual harassment lawsuits filed against him by ex-employees; what's that all about? It makes the "funny" text of this ad, featuring Charney, rather yucky indeed.

I've gone back and forth with American Apparel - I was introduced to it very late in the American Apparel game by a coworker at a previous job. She was wearing an army green zip up hoodie that fit her well, with a more shapely cut that other basic sweatshirts I'd seen. I asked her about it, and she told me where she'd gotten it, and I went and got a few. They hold up well through lots of washings in a front loading machine (I can't say the same for top loading washing machines; they've ruined plenty of my clothes - I'm all about the front loaders!) That was a few years ago; later I started reading about American Apparel's infamous scandals. Basically, the whole garment industry is tainted with sweatshop labor and exploitation; maybe American Apparel is the lesser of various evils. I like the sweatshirt (as much as someone can like such a basic and un creative piece of utilitarian clothing) and hate the sexual harassment. That's not cool. It creeps me out.

1 comment:

Mx said...

This guy needs to dial it back...that's for sure.