24 January 2007

Dracena



To replace the schefflera which I inadverdently killed (but composted - not wasted!), Dear Daniel bought me a dracena.
This is a wise choice - I have a taller dracena which I've kept alive and thriving for four years and through three apartment moves and two repottings, so I know I can do well with dracena. The taller dracena really started to take off when my cat Cougar died. He loved to jump up and claw and chew on the lower leaves. When each row of lower leaves got shredded, I would pull them off and the plant would continue to make new ones at the top. It got taller and taller, and the stem got longer and longer. Now that Cougar's not around the strip off the lower leaves, the plant is fuller. Each leaf of my new plant is long and narrow, with stripes of red and yellow; I chose it for this interesting color. I love plants with variegated leaves. My older one is all green.

No comments: