20 January 2007

The Russian Cat Pin, Finally, A Year Later



Near my apartment is a Russian gift shop.
I should back up and say that I live in San Francisco, and San Francisco is a tiny city divided into tiny neighborhoods or areas. The city is divided up economically, ethnically, etc. The neighborhood closest to me is largely Russian and Chinese. So, it's not that unusual to find a Russian bakery, mini-grocery, or gift shop. There's also the Holy Virgin Cathedral Russian Orthodox church, with its surreal gold domes, which you can gaze at as you wait for seating at the popular dim sum restaurant across the street.

Last year I bought some awesome Russian greeting cards at this Russian gift shop. The cards are kind of cartoon women representing the seasons of the year. Summer is holding a basket of berries and there are flowers at her feet and the grass is green, and spring is pale blonde with a blue dress and a scarf and some spring bulbs growing near her. "Cartoon" makes it sound kind of silly - they're actually really pretty. So I went into the shop again the other day and the proprietor yelled at me while I was looking at the cards, saying, "THOSE ARE IN RUSSIAN LANGUAGE."
I told her I noticed that they were in Russian, but I l still enjoy the images. I ended up buying two cards, and then I asked her if she still had these handpainted cat pins I saw a long time ago there. She said yes and started digging around in stacks of boxes behind her. She pulled out this dusty case and showed me the cat pins. Each pin was supposed to be $25, but she said there was a one day special for me only and sold me this pin for $15. Then she yelled at me for not having a jacket on, saying it was really cold. (I told her I parked literally right outside the store.) It was kind of a weird experience, which is fitting, since it's kind of a weird pin. I don't often wear pins, but I like this one and I wore it the next day on a plain black top.
I put the pin next to a compact so you can see what size it is.

No comments: