13 January 2007

Modern Candlelight



Around ten years ago, a college friend of mine got married and I helped her open and catalogue her many gifts. She and her husband received many beautiful things, but the object I admired and coveted the most was a simple glass bowl with swirls of color suspended inside, like the swirls in a child's favorite marble. I remember thinking it was a shame it wasn't mine! I took careful note of the name on the white box with simple black writing that it came in: Kosta Boda.

Kosta Boda is a Swedish glassmaker which has been around longer than the United States has! The design I love is called Atoll and was designed by Anna Ehrner.

I got a pink Atoll votive candleholder and always regretted it. I chose pink because at the time, my bedroom was all done in leopard and pink. Obviously, it was before my modern phase. It was the girliest, vampiest bedroom I've ever had, and maybe the girliest, vampiest bedroom I've ever seen. Pink is a color I love, but in small doses. I can't live with too much pink in my home. I gave the pink votive to a friend, who in turn gave me a wonderful gift of THREE of them, in Christmas colors: red, white and green. The white is on my living room coffeetable, and the green is on the coffeetable in our den, where I have bright green and bright yellow abstract lithographs from the 1960's. The red is the most beautiful, and it's usually in my bathroom, where I have deep orange-red towels. All three of them are in places where natural light illuminates the glass and changes the colors and shadows as the day passes.

No comments: