23 February 2007

Scratchboard Illustrations - Michael Halbert




Enamored of illustrator Michael Halbert's incredible scratchboard images, I imagined them adorning this homespun little newsletter I put together at my work. It's call Produce Notes, and it gives information to our customers, who are mostly markets and restaurants, about what's in season this week, what's ending, what's coming next week, etc. Our Produce Notes has a long history, and has been done by various creators over the years, each person making their own changes to the design, the writing style, etc. It's fun looking at the big binders which hold all the old copies. I've done exactly one issue of the Notes so far. I intend for my contributions to include wonderful paper in a palette that makes sense, a layout that's pretty, clean and super readable, and beautiful, legally-acquired art. In pursuit of the beautiful, legally-acquired art, I telephoned Michael Halbert. And hey, if you call him, he answers the phone!

He's out of our league, and I quickly learned that the cost of the license to use one of his drawings is beyond my budget, but you can't blame a budding graphic designer for trying, now can you?

(Umm... image of peach and raspberries by Michael Halbert, obviously. Go to his site and see the rest!)

1 comment:

Heidi on Vashon said...

Fantastic! So crisp.