04 February 2007

So, The Queen Mary 2 Sailed By...



I've been working six days a week at work. Five days a week I do my regular job, and on Sundays I function as a salesperson, keying in produce orders as restaurants and markets read off what they want. I've been doing this since mid-December and it's going to continue till mid-March. It sounded like a good idea at the time: my boss (she's very nice and I like her a lot) was going in for brain surgery, yes, BRAIN SURGERY, and needed Sunday coverage, and plus I figured I could use the extra money; maybe actually not live paycheck to paycheck, maybe actually save a little bit of a money cushion. Now I just wish it would stop... I see why people don't work six days... it's crazy-making.

DD came to pick me up, and then traffic started getting crazy as we got within about a mile of our home. And then traffic just STOPPED completely. What the hell? I wondered. DD informed me that the Queen Mary 2 was passing underneath the Golden Gate Bridge with four inches of clearance. He said this in all seriousness. I was barely even skeptical; I asked what happens if the water level is a little high? "That's why they're doing it at 3:30," DD told me. "It's low tide."
"Are that many people interested in watching the Queen Mary go by?" I asked. "Why is traffic dead stopped? Maybe Gavin Newsom is trying to jump off the bridge. Are you sure it's not four FEET of clearance?"

Just goes to show how totally ditzy we both can be. I called the police dispatch when I got home (oh, we parked our car and walked about 1/2 mile home past all the angry, pissed off people in their cars) and they told me that indeed, everyone was looking at the Queen Mary 2.

I looked it up online and found that there's actually 233 feet of clearance between the ship and the bridge, not, FOUR INCHES, or four feet.
Even as I write this, I can see traffic crawling by. I was thinking about pouring beer into little tiny cups and selling it to the drivers for $5 a mini-cup. Hell, five dollars a SIP. I also told DD I should cook a frozen pizza, cut it into twenty tiny slices and sell each one for twenty dollars.... it's 5:15 and I am sure people are hungry!

1 comment:

freethoughtguy said...

I read it was 30 feet of clearance ... oh well, she made it in! Let's hope she makes it out OK tonight!