06 February 2007

Chinese New Year Is Coming and Dammit, I AM CHINESE



My co-worker asked me how long I'm going to continue working on Sundays. Till March, I told her, but I have Chinese New Year off.
"Why do you have Chinese New Year off?" she asked. "You're not Chinese."

"I AM Chinese," I corrected her.

"'Yamamoto' is NOT Chinese," she informed me. (Because I don't know that my own last name is Japanese?)

"Okay," I replied patiently, "Well, I have a MOTHER, and she happens to be Chinese."

For God's sake, people! This is the United States, and here people of different ethnicities do occasionally have sex and make mixed-ethnicity babies. I happen to be one. My sister happens to be another. We're Chinese AND Japanese and we're not putting up with anyone's bullshit anymore! Besides, aren't white people in America always on and on about "I'm one-eighth Irish, one eighth English and one-sixteenth French and one thirty-second Cherokee"? Well?

1 comment:

DivineDivorcee said...

What temerity to correct you on your own heritage! Grr!