12 May 2006

The Hair Club For Women


One really lovely thing about my workplace is that it provides us with a free catered organic vegetarian lunch four days a week. (No, I don't work at Google, but I heard they have heated toilet seats and bidets in their bathrooms there, so it doesn't surprise me to read all this good stuff about the meals they feed their employees.) So today I wandered up to the kitchen to check out the meal. It was chili and jalapeno cornbread, with sour cream and shredded cheese to put on top. Yum, right? So, I get a cup and put some chili into it, and then reach for the tongs to grab a little sprinkle of cheese. And I see - right on the top of the cheese - a long dark hair! SO GROSS!
(The caterer is bald, by the way.)

Okay, I have long, dark hair. So do three other women at my office; Dee, Em and Bee. Dee's hair is long and dark with some bright red stripes in it. And Dee is my friend, so I will leave her out of the suspect lineup. Em's hair is long, thick, and dark brown with reddish tints. Bee's hair is long and really glossy black. Mine is dark brown and finer textured than either of theirs. But if anyone comes across a long dark hair, are they going to inspect it for reddish tints or try to determine whether it's black or brown, thick or thin? No. They might just assume it was my hair. THAT WAS NOT MY HAIR in the cheese! I'm ALWAYS finding disgusting long dark hairs all over the counter in the bathrooms at work - and now IN THE FOOD.

And whenever I come across the hairs in the bathroom, I always gag and wipe them up, and WHY? Only because I don't want anyone else to think they are MY hairs. There's nothing wrong with long, dark hair as long as it's attached to your head. Once it becomes detached from your head it's just GROSS. I know that Bee brushes her hair in the bathroom, so I'm almost 100% sure it's hers. And I don't want anyone to think I am an animal who just leaves my long, dark hairs around after they shed off my head.

I brush my hair AT HOME, and any hairs that come out stay in the hairbrush until I clean it out. And I sweep my floors several times a week to pick up hair. And I never leave hairs on the bathroom sink! And while I cook I always have my hair in a ponytail so no hair falls into the food. One of the responsibilities of having long hair is making sure it doesn't find its way anywhere where it will cause others to GAG.

Jeez.

(Oh, that's not even my freakin' hair in the photo above. It's a fall; a long, thick fake ponytail attached to my own thin stumpy ponytail. My own hair blends in and hangs out the bottom, and those are my own bangs of course. These falls look good but don't feel very soft. I would wear one every day if they were softer!) Get Yourself a Ponytail Like Mine Here

No comments: