18 May 2006

The Case of the Missing Diptyque Candle

I am happily awaiting the arrival of a magic candle I purchased. Okay, so it's not a magic candle. But it is a Diptyque candle, much-touted and loved by the likes of Elton John and P Diddy. How can Elton John and P Diddy be wrong?

Diptyque's Website

Now there is indeed a Diptyque store in San Francisco, but the sudden urge to buy a fifty-dollar candle struck me while I was at work, plus I just didn't feel like dealing with Union Square, particularly with the snobbery of Maiden Lane, where the store is located, and certainly not after work when I'd be wearing jeans, sneakers, and quite possibly some dirt under my fingernails.

There are lots of places to buy a Diptyque candle online; I ordered from Electric Ladyland only because they promise free 2nd Day Air shipping. (NOT because I loved the dizzying, migraine-inducing, tan-and-hot pink wallpaper on the opening page of their site.) The scent I chose was Amande; an almond scent. My FIRST candle arrived by 2-day DHL and boy was I excited. I opened the candle packaging and a wonderful fragrance wafted out; fresh and green; not sweet. (But not "almondy" at all.) Turns out they shipped me Figuier Vert instead. I would have kept it except that it's green in COLOR; the glass and the wax. I didn't want a green colored candle for my first Diptyque experience!

I emailed Electric Ladyland's customer service to see if they would send me a prepaid return label or issue a call tag. I received no response from them so I sent the green fig candle back by FedEx overnight. They received it and sent the replacement by DHL Ground. Which seems a little shitty, since they originally promised free 2-day air, sent me the WRONG candle, didn't answer my email, I sent the candle back at MY expense, and then instead of sending the correct candle by 2nd Day, they sent it Ground. Now, a candle I ordered on April 27th is scheduled to finally arrive today, May 18th. Plus I paid around $15 to ship it. Because they sent THE WRONG CANDLE.

Okay! I've learned my lesson. Next time I want a Diptyque candle, I will go to the store! Buying candles that are renowned for their fragrances is something that should be done in person anyhow; not online.

No comments: