17 May 2006

Gaslight and Shadows - Antique Jewelry, Limoges



Today I purchased this faux-ivory cuff bracelet and vintage barrettes at Gaslight and Shadows, which has been in business in San Francisco's Outer Richmond area since the mid 70's.

Gaslight and Shadows is an amazing shop full of beautiful vintage things; the world's largest collection of miniature Limoges porcelain boxes, Bakelite jewelry, curvy bracelets with turquoise and abalone, and sweet 1950's never-worn vintage barettes with tiny pink-and-white rosettes. At the center of the shop is the dark haired, tiny Phyllis Nabhan, who is at once mysterious and yet incredibly open and friendly. She gave me a wonderful overview of the history of Bakelite, which I learned is a super-hard plastic which took color so well that it went from being used for stove knobs and radios in the 1930's and 40's to jewelry in the 50's. She was helpful, but also let me browse around freely. I meant to just dash in, but ended up staying for a long time. Then my parking meter was up, and I left, promising to return soon, which I will.

Magical!



Gaslight and Shadows
2335 Clement St.
San Francisco, CA 94121
cross street: 24th Ave.
phone: 415.387.0633

No comments: