01 December 2006

Young Lovebirds

Over the past few months, I've seen this twenty-four year old guy I know fall in love for the first time. Well, I have't really SEEN it, I've just heard about it. He's an acquaintance through my work, and because he's the delivery person for one of the restaurants we sell to, I see him every day when he comes for his beets, carrots and chives. He's usually the first driver in each day, at least after I get there - they start coming at 3 am, but I'm not there till around 6:45. He comes at 7:00 or 7:05. We always say good morning and ask each other how our evenings were the night before. He's been to my house and to an art show my friend was doing - we're kind of friendly.
Well, he fell in love. He went from giving me a rather crass Too Much Info a few months ago: "GUESS WHAT?! I HAD SEX LAST NIGHT!" (punctuated with Butthead-like giggles - of Beavis and Butthead) to going home for the holidays with Free Sex Girl over Thanksgiving, to telling me today, "I think I sorta fell in love with her last weekend. She used to vounteer at this mental hospital, and we went there to visit, and all the nurses and patients were like saying her name and they all loved her, and she was so beautiful there. I don't know! I think I'm going to ask her if she wants to live with me!" This was followed by a rather wild-eyed, messy-haired dazed look. He looked at me somewhat shyly, as if expecting me to laugh at him or put down his idea.
He said they eat out a lot now and he looked forward to making food together. That touched me. At some point I thought, it's so cool; I am seeing a glimpse of a boy becoming a man.

No comments: