30 December 2006

The Asian Mannequin



I saw this Asian mannequin at a Victoria's Secret downtown today (downtown San Francisco, that is). I was surprised to see her; I don't know that I've ever seen an Asian mannequin at a VS before! Mannequins are rather scary; I'm not sure if I think that because they look so fake or because they look so real. In this case, it's more the gray pallor of her "skin" that creeps me out. I wonder how much cheap mannequins like this one at Victoria's Secret cost?

For a few thousand dollars, you can get a much more realistic Realdoll. They have a few Asian versions, too, for the Asian fetishists out there. They are named Mai, Kaori and Rui. That cracks me up. Another thing that cracks me up is that the website lists the features and benefits of the dolls and says, "Relaxing and Comforting - provides stress-free companionship". Well, dang.


Caution: this site has X-rated content (okay, maybe it's more like NC-17 content):

Realdolls

A fine art photographer named Elena Dorfman made a book called Still Lovers, documenting the lives of people and their Realdolls.
It's fascinating.

Elena Dorfman's Still Lovers

It would be hypocritical of me to say it's weird to buy and live with and love a Realdoll. For one thing, I try to reserve judgement about others' sexual practices, as long as they don't harm others, and I hardly think anyone is being nonconsentually hurt in these situations. Besides, I have a stuffed polar bear that I'm so attached to that I take him traveling with me!

3 comments:

Heidi on Vashon said...

I saw a special segment on Realdolls on -Real Sex- I think it was called on HBO? Cinesex? Several years ago...and it was fascinating! I liken it to necrophilia, IMHO.

I like that mannequin; I think she's lovely albeit grey.

Anonymous said...

Do you think "ethnic mannequins" are missing, and would be appealing to the retail fashion consumer?

DivineDivorcee said...

She is pretty, in a very mannequin-like-way.

I saw that same special on RealDoll! They are amazing -- but I can't imagine the amount of mental fantasy involved in doing it with an overgrown barbie doll.

Like you, I've never seen an ethnic mannequin -- not latina, not asian, and I have seen some african-american ones but frankly damned few.

then again, mannequins these days come with nipples; progress indeed.