19 December 2006

Ain't No Carrie Fisher (Eragon, the Movie)









I really loved Eragon, the novel by Christopher Paolini, as well as its sequel, Eldest. I'm eagerly anticipating the third novel in the trilogy. I like science fiction and fantasy; the hard core fantasy people among us would consider me a mere dabbler, but I've read my share of Piers Anthony (the whole Xanth series), Anne McCaffrey, Orson Scott Card and the like.

Naturally I saw this movie this past weekend. I was somewhat disappointed by it. The first photo is the character Arya, who in the novel was described as black-haired, green-eyed, a ferocious fighter, pointy-eared (she's an elf) and stunningly beautiful. I was expecting something more like Liv Tyler in Lord of the Rings. Or even Kira from The Dark Crystal. Every time DD and I are disappointed by a female fantasy character in a film, we always compare her to Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia in Star Wars, and we say, "She ain't no Carrie Fisher."

1 comment:

Heidi on Vashon said...

But I LOVE looking at Liv. She is so elfenly gorgeous. I've always liked her face and graceful presence. Still not sold on her acting.