20 December 2006

Goodbye, Hello Kitty



For years (about thirty) I've loved Hello Kitty. It feels very strange to say this, but I think I'm officially over it. I don't dislike Hello Kitty now, and I still love some of the Hello Kitty things I have (my Tarina Tarantino necklaces, for example) but I've oversaturated myself with Hello Kitty and I just can't take it anymore. It's like sweets at Christmas... they're all around me at work, and I think if I eat one more thing with sugar in it, I will throw up. Any sweet tooth I had has officially been killed by the abundance of Christmas treats... and Hello Kitty shall follow.

I knew something was happening a few years ago when I suddenly started to avoid Hello Kitty items that were pink. Once upon a time, in the late 70's, Hello Kitty things were always red and white. At some point, pink took over, and now most Hello Kitty things are pink. I started to only buy things if they weren't pink. I like pink - just not Hello Kitty and pink together. For the past few months I've just felt sort of "blah" whenever I see Hello Kitty stuff. I passed the Sanrio store a few times lately with no desire to go inside and see what was new. I purged my stationery collection, plus I started getting into really nice cotton writing paper, and Sanrio stationery, while cute, is just not printed on very nice paper. It is strange to think that something I've liked for so long, and been associated with for so long (and people know I like Hello Kitty. They give me things, and tell me they saw this Hello Kitty thing and that Hello Kitty thing) is something I am leaving. I guess it's all part of growing up. When I asked my mom why her house was getting more traditional and less modern in style and decor, she just said, "Your tastes change." I guess I'm losing my taste for Hello Kitty.

6 comments:

Damien said...

A poignant moment to be sure. I think Brae is about to burn the same bridge.

Heidi on Vashon said...

Wow! Are you gonna change your user name then?

I was always a Bad Batz Maru gal myself. Love that naughty penguin.

Here's to your epiphany!

captain corky said...

They grow up so fast... I feel the same way about sitcoms. It's a little scary growing up isn't it?

DivineDivorcee said...

I disagree, I think Femme has been grown up for a while now, but after a while you get tired of toying with X and start to toy with Y -- and I still want to see a handwriting sample; I agree with Madam X: it must be very pretty.

DivineDivorcee said...

PS - merry everything ;)

Mx said...

and yet somewhere deep down in the nostalgic recess of your heart...
you will always hold dear, a little kitty with a red bow on her left ear..

p.s....next thing you know, you'll be considering marriage and we'll all be tripping to Vashon for a Bad Batz disco wedding shower

Happy New Year all....

Madame x is back....and plans to spend tonight catching up with your posts!!!