07 November 2006

Voting at The Log Cabin

Today was the first time I voted at The Log Cabin location in San Francisco's Presidio. I've always seen this building while walking or running and wondered what it is and what people use it for. It has some big white letters on the outside saying simply "LOG CABIN". Inside, it literally had walls made of logs, and a yellowed, faded, flattened carpet that might have been installed in 1977. The air smelled like hamster pee. There were only three poll workers - two extremely young-looking teenage boys and an old man. They were very capable, though. They checked off my name (I was on the roster. I'd brought my ID and bills with my address just in case I was purged from the rosters. I was already rehearsing how I would demand a provisional ballot... I kept having this paranoia that I was going to be disenfranchised today...) handed me a ballot packet and waved me toward one of the empty plastic booths. (I suddenly remembered going to the polls with my mom when I was little. The booths then were made of wood and were much bigger than they are now. I asked my mom who she voted for and she told me it was none of my business! it was 1980, and Reagan won. I know she didn't vote for Reagan. I was dying to discuss politics with her, but she acted as though I was asking her about something totally personal.)

After I marked my ballot, I carried the sheets (in a blue "privacy folder") over to one of the young boys, who was babysitting an ancient-looking machine that looked like a prototype ATM and made little chirpy electronic beeps like R2D2. I fed the ballot sheets into the machine and it sucked them right in, beeping happily. The guy gave me my "I voted" sticker and that was it.
It's always kind of anticlimactic, voting, isn't it?

1 comment:

Dan said...

Voting is anticlimactic because it's just ... hardly doing anything! ;)

I like the R2D2 part though. ;)