21 November 2006

Hello Kitty "Tokyo"



Much to my own shock, I'm beginning to lose interest in Hello Kitty. I still love her, but I'm starting to get a lot more selective about what I like - for example, I now reject anything Hello Kitty that is pink, because so much HK stuff is pink, and I'm tired of the pinkness; it's a little too sweet and cloying for me lately.

This happened to me last year with leopard print. I've loved leopard print since I was a little girl. I remember asking for a leopard print sweater when I was around eight and my mom was buying some holiday clothes for me. The sweater was a little cardigan with fake pearl buttons. "Eeew," my mom said, and that ended that.
When I was old enough to choose my own things, I began amassing leopard print clothing and accessories, peaking a few years ago when my whole bed was leopard, and about half my purses and clothing! Of course, a lot of people love leopard, and it was never just "my" thing, but I became good friends with a woman who also loves leopard, and she's a few decades older than me, so she's had more time to amass leopard stuff. Her whole house is leopard, including toothbrush handles, the handles of her cutlery, her drinking glasses, towels, bedding, and half her shoes, purses and clothes. At my work, I met another woman who loves leopard and wears it often. So from knowing the two of them, I get enough leopard around me without craving it as much myself. I still buy pretty much all the leopard underwear and shoes I can, but other than that, my taste for it has declined a lot. And I feel the same thing beginning to happen with Hello Kitty.

This is a new tee shirt, though. I like it because it's blue (not pink!), and I like it for the way it makes a funny and ironic play with my ethnicity and nationality. I've never been to Tokyo (I want to go), and I don't speak Japanese; for chrissakes, I'm 4th generation - "Yonsei". Even living in multi-cultural San Francisco, a lot of people (white people) like to speak Japanese to me. I understand a little and can say, in Japanese, "I don't speak Japanese," which is what I always reply. But that's another whole rant for another day. Anyhow, I'm Japanese American (Chinese American, too). I'm not sure that everyone gets the joke or the irony if the tee shirt, but it still tickles me. Plus, it fits well. The shoulder seams line up just right on my shoulders, which is kind of rare when you're petite like me, but not skinny. I'm a bit more on the "solid" side... A small juniors tee shirt is usually too tight, and a medium, too big in the shoulders. This one is just right!

1 comment:

captain corky said...

I really like that shirt, a lot! Also, thanks for your suggestion Kitty. Maybe you could turn A into a Klingon for me, and then we can do a mating ritual or something.