23 November 2006

Give Thanks for Mushrooms



Some people theorize that mushrooms are the descendants of interplanetary traveling spores from other galaxies, or something like that. All I know is that mushrooms are one of my five favorite foods. The other four are Champagne, chocolate, butter, goat cheese and crab. And coffee. Well, hell, that's seven. Plus duck. And heavy cream. And payaya with lime.

I invited no guests over for Thanksgiving this year. After a big Thanksgiving with a lot of guests last year, I promised myself and DD we'd have a quiet, relaxing one by ourselves this year. His work gives each employee a free-range turkey, and my work gives the employees an abundance of wonderful organic produce, so we are making a turkey dinner. I already roasted and carved the turkey and threw the weird bones into a pot for turkey soup, and made horseradish mashed potatoes with Yukon Gold potatoes. And we went running! Now we get to drink mimosas and get hungry, then comes mushroom gravy and vegetables. I feel happy that we're using nothing packaged and that my trip to the grocery store yesterday was only for Champagne, flowers, and ice cream! "Where are the CANS OF FRENCH FRIED ONIONS?" I overheard a woman asking a worker, with a note of hysteria creeping into her voice. Thank God I'm out of all that.

Somehow I feel like I already ate a whole turkey, because I've been smelling it and dealing with it all morning. Even with just the two of us, cooking the turkey seems to be about how many times I can mess up the kitchen and then clean it again...I dropped meat on the floor, I spilled hot turkey grease... last year I used a disposable aluminum pan - the wing pierced the flimsy aluminum and the juices dripped into the oven... it was dramatic. My mom laughed at me, told me the same thing happened to her once upon a time, and then she bought me a nice roasting pan for Christmas. A really nice roasting pan. It only took a few moments to clean!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here are some things I'm grateful for:

1. I'm really, really healthy and able
2. I have a peaceful and happy living situation and there's a tree outside my living room window
3. I have a job where there are a lot of nice people, working for a company that doesn't do harm
4. I'm grateful for Dear Daniel
5. I still have both my parents and they're both healthy
6. I have pretty hair!

...and more...what are you grateful for?

3 comments:

More Turkish Delight said...

1) You
2) Mimosas
3) Days off
4) The beach
5) Mimosas

captain corky said...

I just love(psilocybin)mushrooms.
It sounds like you guys had a very intimate Thanksgiving, very cool. I'm just feeling very grateful this year. It's been a very good year.

Heidi on Vashon said...

I'm coming to YOUR place to eat! These are all my fave foods, too. And I'm becoming a total mushroom dork these days.