13 November 2006

Fountain Pens and True Love



Each year, San Francisco artists participate in "Open Studios" - where they all open their studios to the public. My calligraphy teachers, Ward Dunham and Linnea Lundqust, opened their studio, Atelier Gargoyle, and I went there and tested all of Ward's special fountain pens, which each have a hand-ground italic nib so you get that wonderful thick and thin line variation while you are writing. I fell in love with a pen that day; an orange marbled Conway Stewart number. I never would have guessed just by looking at it that it was the pen for me, but once I held it and wrote with it, I knew it was The One! Well, sometimes love is unpredictable like that. I haven't consummated this burning passion yet, by the way. It goes against my plan of not spending money on myself before the holidays.

Do you like writing with fountain pens, or want to find out if you do? My pal Meagan recently introduced me to the Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pen. It's inexpensive, but smooth-writing, comfortable, and just really nice. The ink flows extremely reliably and generously (it's advertised as "fine point" but compared to many fine fountain pens I've tried, I feel it's closer to what's described as medium point) and it's a fountain pen you don't have to worry about losing. Writing with it is a simple pleasure! Try it out and in the meantime, you can spend a little more time looking for the fountain pen of your dreams. Don't settle!

No comments: