30 May 2008

The movie was just...meh

After much anticipation, I saw Sex and the City, the movie, yesterday after work. I thought I was going to love it! I was prepared to love it, I expected to love it... I was kind of disappointed and it was really long...2 hours and 22 minutes.
The HBO episodes were a half hour each, so this was like watching almost five of them in a row. I have watched three of them in a row before, but never five, and I think it was just too much for me. It felt really long, the character of Samantha basically had only enough storyline for one of the 30 minute TV episodes, and Carrie's story dragged way beyond the point where I cared anymore. I enjoyed some moments, some jokes, Charlotte, and the fashion (a montage of Carrie trying on gowns and another of her trying on her old clothes are just awesome!) but not enough.

There were hordes of homogenous women at the theater (possibly because of the area we were in, in addition to the movie itself), and about three men. DD was one of them, which was pretty funny. The theater smelled like pancakes because they serve caramel popcorn there. At first I was annoyed that the screen and actual theater were so small, because that can be charming and you accept it at an older theater, like the Piedmont Theater in the East Bay, but this is a brand new theater, so it was actually recently designed like that.

M.E.H.

No comments: