04 May 2008

Barack + Kiehl's 58B Lip balm




I'm not the first person to blog about Barack Obama, nor am I the first person to write about Kiehl's SPF 15 lip balm; however, I may be the first blogger to say I have found the perfect lip balm for Barack Obama!

The other day I was at the salon I go to, having my hair cut by my stylist, who is pretty quiet and reserved. The stylist in the chair right next to hers, though, is very bubbly, cute and talkative. So the woman who cuts my hair and I were more or less listening to the conversation the bubbly one was having with her own client. They were talking about how tired and drained Barack Obama has been looking, presumably due to the stress of the election. "I feel so badly for him!" she said, "I just want to send him a case of Chapstick!" We all about died laughing (not at Barack Obama, because from the sound of it, everyone in the conversation is an Obama supporter, but just because it was silly and unexpected).

I've long been looking for the perfect lip balm for DD. This is purely my own trip, since DD has several lip balms that he likes just fine. There are two events that jumpstarted my obsession with DD's lipbalm-- the first was that he used a lip balm he was apparently allergic to one night, and woke up the next morning with his lips swollen like balloons! It took about a week for them to go down all the way, and afterward, they were horribly dry and cracked. And for part of the recovery process, one SIDE of his mouth was a lot more swollen than the other side. It was kind of frightening. The second reason for my pursuit of the perfect lip balm is the fact that DD's lips literally turn blue if he's cold... and just lavender-gray if he's chilled.
Plus he has really big lips, so it's like these big blue lips... anyway, I've given him a lot of tinted lip balms, which he good-naturedly tries, but usually proclaims too greasy, too much like a lipstick, too waxy, or too shiny.

Enter Kiehl's Lip Balm 58B. 58B is the color, and it's a very slight brownish peach tint that doesn't really look like anything, but makes the lips look less dry. (They have one that's more red-pink, too.) The tube doesn't look like a lipstick tube, it has a slant-tip applicator (but I think it's better to squeeze it onto your figertip and rub it on) and it feels very soft and creamy. It's also not too glossy!
Might be the perfect thing for DD. And Barack Obama! And husbands and boyfriends everywhere.

No comments: