08 March 2007

Smells Like a Sexy Faun (or Satyr, Maybe)





I have sensitive hearing and a very sensitive (and fussy) sense of smell. The smell of Original Tide detergent is overpowering and frightening to me, and don't get me started on that most hideous perfume of all time: Clinique Happy. It should be called Clnique Horrified.

I like fragrances that are fresh and green, citrusy, peppery, gingery, and/or minty. (I also like chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, clove.) I tried Annick Goutal's Mandragore the other day and I love it. It's considered a unisex fragrance: they describe it as woody, with notes of black pepper, mint, and anise.

To give you an idea, it's along the lines of these other fragrances that I've liked at various times: Clinique Aromatics Elixir (kind of), Clarins' Eau Dynamisante, Annick Goutal Eau De Sud, 4711, and the Diptyque Fig candle. Not that these things smell alike, I just think that if you like any of them, you'll like Mandragore, too. Its fragrance makes you think of lying around smoking hash in a meadow at twilight while weird sexy woodland beasts play flutes and dance...

No comments: