05 June 2008

More fun than a barrel of monkeys: Work!

Three weeks into my new job, and all the happy shiny newness has worn right the fuq off. These people don't even have a SERVER. They share documents on google docs. My docs don't sync with my boss's... we just keep e-mailing versions of docs round and round. We use gmail instead of Outlook, except the CEO and the IT manager, who "can't deal" with anything that's not Outlook. Okay, so what makes them think any of us can deal with not having Outlook, if they can't deal without Outlook? And I am producing a business plan with many colors and spreadsheets and bars and detail on a low-end home office printer.


Boss: Why did you change this double line to a single line?

Me: I didn't. It's a double line on the computer, but because this printer sucks, the two lines are bleeding together and making a single line.

Boss: Well, can't you DO something about it?


Okay, the something I would have done would have been to have finished it two days ago and sent it to a professional printer.

_______________

Later On...

Me: Hey, I have So-and-So Bigshot on the phone for you. Want to talk to her?

Boss: NO! She's a narcissist psycho! She's insane!

Me: uh, okay.

_______________


I could go on and on, but the point is, I realize I left Hell and simply entered another dimension of Hell. Not the same Hell, a different Hell. Old Hell had a nicer scanner. Sweet computers. A SERVER. A SHARED DIRECTORY. Microsoft Outlook. Jesus, look what they've reduced me to... I'm an evangelist for a Microsoft product. New Hell has nice, genuinely awesome co-workers. A nice CEO. (Is that an oxymoron? Nice CEO? But he really is.) Toilet seat protectors... ohhh yeah....sweet, paper-covered CIVILIZATION!
But everything's so fuqqing inefficient, and my boss... oh, wow.

What to do?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just keep on keepin' on.

From Susie..... said...

you seriously don't network to each other?

that is almost as archaic as....

walking.to.work


grin

pink fluff and stuff said...

from susie.....
(did I put the correct number of periods/ellipses and a half there?)
Please invite me to read your "invite only" blog! Thanks!

Listen Up, MoFos! said...

Ya, that does sound like their budget is quite limited... a bit worrying. Sorry babe, I know you were really happy. Cheer up though, there IS somewthing out there for you, you gotta believe!

Heidi on Vashon said...

If you're evangelizing an MS product, your company should be with it enough to invest in a damn server. Yeesh! What is up with these inefficient cheap-out offices. We couldn't work without a server, and ours is an office of 11 people. Sorry you have to take that extra step of Googlesharing.