21 March 2008

Towels, wineglasses, and... a hacksaw?



My cousin is getting married. I received an invitation, and it was nice of her to invite me, considering we don't know each other. (We have met probably two times, most recently when she was eight years old or so, and I was a teenager.) I don't think I can go to the wedding (and I've been absolved by my dad, who says I needn't go), but I did peruse the "bridal registry" at the three stores the engaged young couple is registered at in the hopes of finding an appropriate gift in my price range. (My price range = $100.) The bridal registry information was conveniently tucked in the invitation. It seems more and more people are doing this now. Some people think it's tacky, but I think it can be helpful to know what china pattern, flatware and stemware they are collecting.

I was soon startled and baffled by this bridal registry, which included 1) a utility knife 2) a 12 inch hacksaw 3) a 14 inch pipe wrench 4) a 50 foot orange extension cord 5) a 100 foot orange extension cord, and the piece de resistance-- a 1000 watt tripod light with portable stand! These are just a few of the many electrical/tool-ish items listed. Well, perhaps the groom-to-be is planning to build the bride-to-be a cottage in the woods for them to live in! That has to be the explanation.

I don't understand how any of these items are even remotely related to a wedding. Needless to say, I will be sending a Visa gift card so that the young couple can pick out their own power tools!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

A VISA gift card is a great gift -- they can decide exactly how to spend it!