05 February 2008

If you know the alphabet, be a poll worker!



I know the poll workers are all volunteers. And I know a lot of them are retirees. Also, where I voted, at least a few of them appeared to be middle school students... and yet, when you arrive just before 7:00 am to vote (for one presidential candidate and about three propositions) IT SHOULD NOT, EVEN UNDER ANY OF THESE CIRCUMSTANCES, TAKE TWENTY THREE MINUTES! The poll workers were just barely unpacking their boxes when I arrived. They had no clue what to do. It took them a full five minutes to find me (as well as the three people in front of me--five minutes each, totalling a fifteen minute wait before it was even my turn) on the roster. They had to open the special secret box you feed your ballots into and fiddle with it. They thought "Green Party" was the same as "Independent." They couldn't find DD's address even though he was in line right after me and we live at the same address.

Really, if you're a reasonably logical person who knows the order of letters in the alphabet and can do basic math at third grade level (isn't that when they learn addresses? Third grade?) you MUST volunteer to be a poll worker next election. I have to do it. I now consider it my civic duty to spare everyone in my voting area from a similar experience next time.

No comments: