04 February 2008

Edward Gorey's Dracula



Yesterday was my last chance to see the Dracula exhibit at San Francisco's Cartoon Art Museum, so DD and I went. The stage sets and costumes were designed by Edward Gorey in the 1970's and he won a Tony for the costumes.

The Cartoon Art Museum is more like a gallery than a "museum", if, like me, you think of a grand place when you hear the word "museum". On this particular day the Cartoon Gallery was filled with rain-wet bratty tourist children whose parents were apparently unfazed by their screaming, wrestling, whining and bumping into artwork on the walls.

Still, it was worth it to see Edward Gorey's original drawings for the Dracula sets, with all his tiny, meticulous pen strokes and his neat italic handwriting! The best parts, to me, were the real invitations to the play's openings in New York City and London.

http://www.cartoonart.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you lucky grrrl!
I sadly found out about this exhibit AFTER it had closed. If I had known, I would have loved to go. I'm just kicking myself here for missing it.

I would be most grateful if you could describe to me any photos of the play, showing the cast members in action. Any photos of Frank Langella showing the Gorey costuming?

Thanks in advance,
Sad 'n Sorry Toongirl