27 September 2007

A Head for Business and a Body for Sin



I'm fascinated by a new manager at my work who wears horrible clothes, like straight out of the 80's, and I'm not talking cool 80's fashions worn with a 2007 sense of tongue-in-cheek; no; I mean 80's shoulder pads, big square navy blue women's suit with ill-fitting skirt and huge gold double breasted buttons, a loose polyester scarf around the neck, and closed-toe, high but thick-heeled clompy shiny pumps. I feel badly for her.

Whenever I see her and am stunned anew by the hideousness of her clothing, I think, "I've got a head for business and a body for sin," which was one of Melanie Griffith's lines in the movie Working Girl. This woman reminds me of that era of work fashion. Th funniest part is, everyone else dresses casually at my work. I mean, it's a vegetable warehouse, for God's sake. Most of the people are warehouse workers and truck drivers, our office is grubby, and we're always on recycling bin duty or kitchen duty or some other dirty duty. Her dressing up is so weirdly out of place, which is what makes it so fascinating!

No comments: