13 September 2007

From Harry Potter to Mary Gaitskill



I was happily reading a copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when DD said he had to return it to someone at work. "You can't just take it away from me now..." I protested, but he promised to buy it for me the next day. (Cut to a full WEEK later... I still don't have the Harry Potter book...ahem.) Anyhow, I began reading a book of Mary Gaitskill's short stories which someone lent to me. The book is called Bad Behavior, and the stories are mostly about characters who are somehow getting sexually involved with each other, and their inner thoughts about each other, many of which are quite mean and unkind. I guess that's realistic. One of the stories is "Secretary", and it was the basis for the film "Secretary" starring Maggie Gyllenhaal. The original story is very interesting; it ends after the attorney spanks the young typist once, for making typing errors, and after he makes her pull up her skirt once. After those two incidents, she doesn't go back to work for him any more, and the story ends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love those short stories - and I love how different that original version of "secretary" is from the film interpretation.

I love the film version, but there's something awesome about the story that trumps the film. I think it's the less saccharine ending. (even though I think the saccharine ending is somewhat romantic)

-Maude