02 December 2007

Twilight



I've just finished reading, in rapid succession, the three novels in the "Twilight Series," a vampire teen love story/thriller by author Stephenie Meyer. I thought it was a trilogy, but apparently there is another novel in the works.

Twilight has a cult following, and is quite a phenomenon. (A movie is forthcoming.) It taps into a lot of the romantic fantasies that make people tick, I think. There's a gorgeous guy (Edward) who is mature (he's something like 100 years old, though physically he's stuck forever at age 17), rich, generous, protective and hot. The female protagonist, Bella, is sort of the classic heroine of romance novels: smart, beautiful but she doesn't know it, stubborn, headstrong yet vulnerable, kind of unemotional with most people, but of course extremely passionate with the guy she's in love with, and so forth. I think that's the gist of the romantic plot, but there are many twists and turns, and the novels create and describe the magical/supernatural realm in ways that really pull you in! They're very fun to read... Freud be damned... and adolescent literature is still a genre that I love.
Although a lot of adolecent lit does have sex in it (did that start with Forever, in 1975, by Judy Blume?), the Twilight series (SPOILER ALERT!) doesn't. It's a big sexual tease, actually!

2 comments:

Bobby D. said...

I liked the Ann Rice vampires,
I could not get into the Poppy Z. Brite Vampires.

based on the above, would I like these books?

pink fluff and stuff said...

Me, too. I think you would like Edward Cullen and family, yes. :)