29 November 2007

The Devil Wears Fleece



I rarely write about work, because, let's face it, I (along with so many other millions of employees) could fill blogs, novels and additional external hard drives full of accounts of horrid work experiences. Besides, it's depressing. Fashion, home, design and style are just so much more fun.

But sometimes work collides with blog in ways we cannot ignore!

For years I've been seeing these Masai Barefoot Technology (MBT) shoes in the Bliss catalog. They're ugly, they're expensive for an ugly pair of shoes, and they're supposed to give you a great workout while you're walking around, building up strong legs and a superbutt. I've long wanted a pair, but it just seems there are so many cute shoes to be had for that price, so I've never actually gotten around to getting them.

Yesterday I overheard an executive at work bellowing into the phone in her office, having a loud personal conversation. (I don't get why people don't understand that today's modern telephone equipment is not the same as it was when a phone was two styrofoam cups and a string. We don't have to YELL into the phones anymore. The microphones are powerful, and they pick up your voice and convey it anywhere it needs to go. But so many executives do this, right? They love to sit in their big offices bellowing their personal conversations. I've heard it all... screaming at the contractor because the new sliding doors at home don't slide. Son going into boarding school... blah blah kicked out of boarding school. Something something dog coughing need a holisitic vet. It's all part of their obnoxious entitlement.)

This conversation happened to be about the MBT sneaker! She was doing a poor job of explaining it, but that's definitely what she was screaming about. Will wonders never cease? I thought the MBT sneaker was for models, the wealthy and bored yoga/nonfat latte crowd, the body-obsessed, and readers of the Bliss catalog.
Who knew that the devil who wears fleece would know about this shoe?

2 comments:

Heidi on Vashon said...

I had to write about this shoe, and I TOTALLY AGREE that they're butt ug. I think walking and running and moving are what give you a superbutt--and you could be in heels doing that when it comes right down to it!

Bobby D. said...

I LOVE your very accurate decription of the exec.

The best ways to get killer legs and butt

1. a treadmill on Full Tilt--Incline that baby-- you don't even have to walk fast, trust me.

2. The Classical stretch DVD by Miranda Esmond White--she has an easy series of leg and butt moves and stretches --well you can FEEL them working-- it's a combo of pilates and ballet and it works.

My butt is superfine now.