02 November 2007

Christmas Starts On Halloween



On Halloween I went to the market to get some things for our dinner and came across a big end display of Mrs Meyer's Clean Day Holiday cleaning kits-- the package is shaped and decorated like a gingerbread house, there's a recipe for gingerbread and butter frosting on the side of the carton, and the carton contains mini versions of four Mrs Meyer's products-- Countertop Spray, Concentrated Cleaner (mix with water to make more Countertop Spray), Dishwashing Liquid and Room Freshener. I wish it contained a mini Glass Cleaner instead of Room Freshener, but, oh well. All the products are scented like gingerbread.

There are so many cool things offered around the holidays, and it's like you have to get them now because they're limited to the holidays. Of course I know that this is all some massive corporate ploy to make us consumers buy a lot of stuff in the last fiscal quarter (duh). But dishwashing liquid that smells like gingerbread? Can you really fault me for buying a $15 Christmas-scented cleaning kit while literally wearing my Halloween costume?! The very next day my friend Meagan and I hustled it over to Lush, where we bought more limited-edition, "holiday" items. I tell you, these companies are shrewd and cruel.

No comments: