01 April 2009

Good Morning, Gmail Autopilot!

I woke early this morning to the sounds of spring birdsong (it was still dark and the birds sounded like they were on crack, actually) and checked my personal email. Gmail had a red tab or link about a new feature called Autopilot, which uses some type of artificial intelligence to reply to emails, mimicking your writing style. The description said it needs more than 100 emails to be accurate, and that you and another person can reply to each other a few times before the quality of the email degrades.
I was astounded, and started thinking about all the delightful implications for my work, where we use Gmail instead of Outlook or another email service. Like, maybe I'll just enable it and go get a manicure this morning... or a Bloody Mary. I began clicking around the internet looking for more information about this and then realized the date - it's April 1st. DAMMIT!

No comments: