05 January 2009

Homage to Flylady



For two and a half years I have been following the advice of Flylady, an online organization coach whose system helps you get your shit together, like get your house super clean and organized and even eat better and have more money. The system is free; you just join a mailing list and receive several instructional emails daily.

It's rather difficult to explain, but a lot of people are really into it; it has a cult following! The Flylady is the very encouraging, kind woman who lives in the South; she's in her 50's (I think this because her husband is retired), and she's just this very sweet, unassuming woman who tells you to take "baby steps" and she has a lot of cute phrases like, "Purple Puddles" and "reboot your laundry". She also calls exercise "loving movement" and tells people to get 15 minutes of Loving Movement per day.

DD and I have been following the Flylady off and on (I'd say more on than off) since sometime in 2006, and I daresay her system works! My apartment is pretty much always presentable, our laundry is never overwhelming, and my closet is color coded. I paid off a large debt and am getting laser eye surgery without having gotten a raise. It's kind of amazing, actually, because it all happens through a series of what she calls "baby steps" so you never really know the point at which your life changed, you just look up two years later and it's changed! So, I owe a big thanks to Flylady!

The latest is I finally got a pair of sneakers to wear inside the house only. This may sound crazy, like why not just wear your shoes inside and out, or why not just take off your shoes and go around in your socks if you want your floors to stay really clean? The idea is that you should do housework wearing clothes and shoes so you don't hurt yourself and so your body is supported and energized. But you might not want to wear your outdoor shoes inside, since you're keeping your house really clean, so you need a good pair of shoes that you only wear inside. I've always thought this was one of Flylady's stranger ideas, but since all her other ideas have worked so well for us, I finally got DD and me both the indoor sneakers. So far, it's just kind of funny wearing them, and feels a little silly, but I think I'll like it soon!

1 comment:

Fahrenheit519 said...

Just joined - now I gotta go shine my sink!