04 January 2009

The 12 Days of Christmas

For the first holiday season in YEARS, years I tell you, I had Time Off. Paid Time Off! Some years ago I worked at a school and therefore had time off for winter break, but I had to do lesson planning and paper grading and all of that. Then I had some jobs involving selling things online at companies whose names ended in dotcom, so of course Christmas was the busiest time and we got Christmas day off but were selling stuff up till the 24th (and having to tell people, "NO, if you order today on December 24th and pay for overnight shipping, we can't actually get this item to you TOMORROW... why? Because it's Christmas... yes, I've heard of Zappos... yes... I know they get your shoes to you in one day... but I guarantee your shoes are not coming on Christmas day... fine, well, just call them and try to get a dildo from Zappos... thanks, goodbye, Merry Christmas to you, too."

Then I went to work for a vegetable company for about two years. People don't stop eating on holidays; in fact, people eat MORE, and need lots of sweet potatoes and russet potatoes and yellow onions other things that come in 50-pound boxes, and everyone needs to Pitch In to Keep Our Company Running during the holiday food-fest.

In 2008 I started working at a school, and not as a teacher, but as an Admin. The school's "admin offices" shut down between December 24th and Jan 4th. I had 12 whole days off, with pay! Even though I've had a cold for a full two weeks, it's been HEAVEN. I organized my closets, went to the library and read some novels, threw a small New Year's Eve party during which 8 people consumed 7 bottles of champagne, watched every episode of "Heroes" that has been released to Netflix so far, went for some walks, had a few shopping adventures, and did not much else.

I return to work tomorrow... the realization of which I'm not dealing with very well!

No comments: