08 April 2008

For a Good Cry: Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin





Last night I finished reading the novel Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. (The first image is the UK cover, which I think is more beautiful and expresses better what's inside the cover than the US cover, below.) Toward the last few pages, I cried and cried. The premise of this novel (and it's a work of adolescent lit, a genre I love) is that a young woman is killed by a hit and run driver and she ends up in the afterlife, called "Elsewhere". There, people age backward, dead artists, like Picasso, are working on new paintings, and Liz, the main character, changes and matures through the novel in ways that are funny and sad. It's such a bittersweet story.

I really am the worst at describing novels, so check it out here.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I want to read it -- it sounds good!