21 January 2008

Goodbye French Country... Hello Modern!





Today I sold my dining table and four chairs. This thing has been with me through three apartment moves, two cities, a lot of dinners. It's a nice little round, with two leaves you can put in to make a pretty huge table that seats 10. The problem is that even at its smallest, it's a little big for any dining area I've ever had and am likely to have here in San Francisco. It fit well into the first apartment's dining area, but in the second one it was just totally wrong (it was really a kitchen with a breakfast nook, not fit for a formal dining table at all) and in my dining area now, it's too big. If it were square it would be fine.

So, I've got my heart set on a sleek square, chocolate colored wood table with a glass top, which opens into a rectangle twice its size for guests. It stores its own leaf--the glass leaf slides under the top glass surface. I love that! I'm sick of wrestling with this table's leaves, which are heavy and which are stored in fabric leaf cover felt bags and take up practically a whole coat closet. I'm on a quest to maximize our small space! My goal is to have a place for everything and everything in its place, and that every item will pass the test-- either beautiful or functional, and hopefully both. This table, which no longer suits, is moving on to another family. I'm so excited!

1 comment:

Mx said...

well, geez..... I like the old french country table....

but I have no doubt your abode is becoming mid-century awesome....