26 August 2007

Pink Pearl apple



A coworker gave me two Pink Pearl apples on Friday at work. Hers were grown by Apple Farm. I like tart apples, and Pink Pearls are very tart and crisp, like Granny Smith apples. The apples she gave me had a white and pink mottled flesh.

At the Farmers Market on Saturday I saw that De Voto Gardens, from Sebastopol, CA also had Pink Pearl apples so I bought a few pounds. Theirs are sweeter than the ones I had on Friday, with a deeper pink flesh. The Pink Pearl apple is a hybrid that was developed in the 1940's. The skin is yellow or cream colored, and you can see the blush from the flesh through the skin. The people at De Voto Gardens' stand said these apples have a very short season-- late August through mid September! They compared it to an Arkansas Black apple for density, crunch and tart flavor.

2 comments:

Mx said...

We will be in Sebastopol week-end after next... Will have to try to find some of these pretty pink apples..

Brae Howard said...

hey. it's brae. check out my new blogger blog. it's much easier to work with design-wise than my movable type blog.

braehoward.blogspot.com

the apples sound wonderful, but your photograph really glorifies them too.