19 August 2007

Limited Edition



The two worst words to see when it comes to some beauty product you love: Limited Edition. "Limited Edition" sends me into a panic and the need to stock up on Limited Edition items throws all budgeting and spending planning into chaos!

On a shopping venture the other day, looking for a bridal shower gift and a birthday gift, I walked hurriedly through the middle aisle of the cosmetics department at Bloomingdale's. The middle aisle is pretty much the straightest shot through Bloomingdale's, if you can keep your head from turning and keep your gaze trained straight ahead, lest you catch a glimpse of the various shimmering, glimmering colors and pots and sticks and spray bottles of fun makeup and lotions and potions to the sides. Unfortunately I made eye contact with a salesperson who smiled at me, which wasn't the true undoing, it was the fact that I smiled back. "BOBBI'S EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR IS COMING SO IF YOU'RE A BOBBI FAN" she screamed at me, and about fifteen people turned to look at her and at the person she was talking to (me). I hurried over to her just to get her to stop being so goddamned embarrassing and picked up a bar of soap that had sand all over the top. I sniffed the soap while the saleswoman prattled on about Bobbi Brown's "Beach" fragrance. The soap, called "the Sandbar" is impregnanted with the fragrance, which really does smell fresh and reminiscent of suntan lotion from the 1970's. That smell has a lot of sense memory and happy emotion associated with it for a lot of people, I am sure. Flash forward... I bought the soap.

It's rich and creamy and smells great, and I love it. I was thinking about buying another bar soon. Then I found out the Sandbar is Limited Edition! Time for a freak out. The only thing worse is the dreaded "DISCONTINUED".

1 comment:

Guilty Secret said...

Ha ha, gets me every time too... probably just an excuse, but who cares, eh?